William Henry Pyne: The History of the Royal Residences
(London: 1819) Sp Coll f327-329
Windsor Castle: Choir of St. George's Chapel
C. Wild delt; T. Sutherland sculp.
(From Vol. 1: Pub. Dec. 1 1818 by W. H. Pyne, 9 Nassau Street, Soho)
choir ... was built by Edward III but much enlarged and improved by Edward IV.
It was also improved by Henry VII and succeeding sovereigns; and is materially
indebted for its present magnificent appearance to our present venerable and
revered monarch. It is divided from the body of the chapel at the west end by a
screen of Coade's artificial stone, over which is the organ gallery. The pillars
and groined roof of this screen are in perfect harmony of design with the rest
of the chapel, and are embellished with devices of the present sovereign and
knights companions (pp.180-181).