Special Collections Material
From Britton's History
and Antiquities of the Cathedral Church of Salisbury (1814)
"The Nave, Plate XX. is shown in a slight etching, as best calculated to define the forms of the columns, capitals, and bases; with the succession of arched mouldings, groining of the vaulting, and lengthened perspective. It is lofty and narrow, and consists of a series of ten arches on each side, with nine groups of clustered columns. Over these arches is another series of arches, opening to a gallery over the side aile; and the third, or upper division, called the clere-story, has a succession of glazed windows of three lights each."
|Salisbury Cathedral Church, View of the Nave looking East
(Plate XX: Drawn by Mackenzie; Engraved by H. Le Keux)
Return to main Decorative Arts and Design page