St. Andrew's Church
St. Andrew's Parish Church was designed by Allan Dreghorn (1706-64) and constructed 1739-56. It predates the present square which was residential and then became commercial. Within the last few years it has been redeveloped for housing. The church building has a lavish interior and is a rare example of the taste and affluence of the 'Tobacco Lords'. It is undergoing restoration and is planned to reopen as a concert hall.
Go to Plate Six - Return to Introductory Page