The Tron Steeple
The Tron Steeple was built onto an existing church in the seventeenth century and survived a fire which destroyed the older structure in 1793. A new church was designed by James Adam (1732-94) but it was not connected to the steeple. In the 1850s John Carrick (1819-90), who later became the city architect, pierced two arches through the steeple. The church was converted into the Tron Theatre in the 1980s.
Go to Plate Five - Return to Introductory Page