View of the Old Bridge, Park Place
The view from the south bank of the river includes the range of buildings known as Park Place to the left, the seventeenth-century Merchants' Steeple, and the Old or Stockwell Bridge. The steeple was retained when the Merchants' House was demolished and replaced in 1817 by the tenements shown here. They subsequently were removed for the construction of the fishmarket which also incorporated the steeple.
Go to Plate Twenty - Return to Introductory Page