View of Carlton Place, Laurieston
The view from the north bank of the river Clyde includes David Hamilton's Gorbals church in the centre and Carlton Place, the terrace of houses to the right, constructed from 1802-04 and 1813-18. These residences were part of the new suburb of Laurieston, planned by John Laurie and designed by Peter Nicholson (1765-1844). Laurie lived in one of the centre houses, now no.52, which has one of the city's finest interiors with Neo-classical plasterwork.
Go to Plate Nineteen - Return to Introductory Page