The Royal Exchange was constructed 1827-32 and designed by David Hamilton. He remodelled the Cunninghame Mansion and added a great portico to the Queen Street front. The large former newsroom to the rear is the city's most magnificent nineteenth-century interior. The building subsequently became Stirling's Library then vacated and converted to the Gallery of Modern Art which opened in 1996.
Go to Plate Fourteen - Return to Introductory Page